Many people i train are recovering over trainers. I think there are many different reasons these people were overtrained in the past. My goal for these people is to decrease overall volume, improve recovery efforts and get them to calm the fuck down and be still for a little while… Sorry i get fired up when people pace while working out.
The list below is not an all inclusive list but its a good place to start when assessing yourself and your own program.
- You spontaneously start crying during or after a workout.
- Your _____ has started bothering you when you do ____. (insert body part and specific movement) This can be an example of overtraining specific movements.
- You don’t sleep well even though you are really worn out.
- You are in a constant state of soreness, even after 2 days off where you only ran a little and did some interval work but it was short…
- Your heart rate is elevated above your normal resting heart rate right when you wake up. How would you know this? Well… start taking your heart rate. A more simple test can be found here. Its kind of a high tech tap test.
- Training is not fun. Motivation is Low.
- You are not hitting PR’s after extended training cycles and followed by recovery weeks.
- Your attitude starts to go south in general. You may need to consult your clients or significant other on this one.
- Add your own here…
I take pride in pulling people out of over reaching or over training slumps and setting them back on the healthy training track. I don’t want anyone to feel like i don’t push my folks to over reach periodically cause my people will gladly tell you how sadistic i am but also understand that i give them adequate recovery as well as responsible workloads to accomplish their specific goals.